The Washington Poison Center provides opportunities for internships in multiple areas related to the mission of our organization – to prevent harm from poisoning through expertise, collaboration, and professional and public education. Our internships provide a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge learned in the classroom with practical and unique application and skills development in a professional setting.
As a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization that provides emergency healthcare information via multiple modalities, the WAPC provides a unique setting that can provide extensions of individuals’ educational curriculum in their current academic environment in a very specialized organization with an assigned mentor/supervisor that encompasses numerous disciplines:
• Clinical toxicology and pharmacology
• Epidemiology/statistics/data surveillance
• Educational program development/implementation,
• Public health
• GIS mapping
• Emergency preparedness/disaster response
• Telephone/communication call center operations
• Medication safety
• Quality healthcare delivery and research
This internship also can provide opportunities for networking, time to explore and confirm career interests, and interactions in multiple different professional environments, all of which could potentially enhance marketability for the intern’s future employment.
Requirements for internship include:
• Current student enrolled in an academic institution (undergraduate, masters, or doctorate)
• Well-defined goals with learning objectives, outcomes, and deliverables
• A “start to finish project” with a summary report and presentation
• Contractual agreement to abide with all WAPC regulations and the intern’s educational institution’s requirements
The WAPC is only able to accommodate 1 intern in a defined period.
For inquiries about potential internship opportunities, please Fill out the form below to contact Katie Von Derau, RN, CPN, Managing Director
Please fill out this form and tell us briefly tell us about yourself and your interests and we will get in touch with you shortly.