Online Privacy Notice
This Online Privacy Notice applies to the personal information that The Washington Poison Center collects when you visit our main website (www.wapc.org) and other websites that we own or control.
This Notice describes the types of personal information we collect, purposes for which we collect it, other parties with whom we may share it, your rights, and choices that are available to you regarding the use of the personal information and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
This Notice does not apply to information collected from or about current or former employees, contractors, volunteers, postdoctoral fellows, and other workers of The Washington Poison Center as part of or in the context of their employment or working relationship with us, unless otherwise indicated on the web sites. This Notice does not apply to and we are not responsible for, the privacy practices or information of any third parties, including any third-party operating websites to which our sites contain a link.
1. Personal Information we collect and process
When you access or use our web sites, we may collect and process the following types of information from you:
Personal Information is any information that we can reasonably use to directly or indirectly identify you.
We collect the following Personal Information from you when you provide it to us:
- Identification information, such as your first name, last name, demographic information, other relevant biographic information, postal address, email address, phone number, and any other relevant contact details.
- Information related to your donation, such as the amount of your donation, giving history, and legal documentation related to your donation.
- Information related to your exchanges with The Poison Center, such as date, hour, and subject of your request, exchanges with The Washington Poison Center services, and preferred means of communication.
Information Received from Third Parties:
In compliance with the data protection laws, we may collect information about you from other companies and organizations, including public databases, social media platforms, our third-party marketing partners, or various independent organizations. For example, we may collect public information about you when you interact with us through social media.
Automatically Collected Personal Information:
Whenever you visit or interact with our Sites, we may use a variety of technologies that automatically or passively collect information about your online activity. This information may be collected in the following ways:
- Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your IP address and Internet browser type and version. Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address is identified and logged automatically whenever a user visits our web sites, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating site’s usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, administering the sites, and presenting content that is tailored to your country.
- Through pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs, or other similar technologies: These may be used in connection with some Sites pages and HTML-formatted email messages to, among other things, track the actions of Site users and email recipients, and compile statistics about Sites usage and response rates.
- From you: Information such as your location, as well as other information, such as your preferred means of communication, is collected when you voluntarily provide this information.
Failure to Provide Personal Information:
If you fail to provide certain Personal Information when requested or if you withdraw consent to processing, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered with you (where applicable), we may not be able to process your request, or we may not be able to properly comply with legal obligations. If this is the case, we may have to stop providing you any services or assistance. If we need to process requested Personal Information to provide you a service or fulfill our obligations to you, we will tell you that in the event you do not provide your consent for us to process that Personal Information where authorized by the data protection laws that apply to you.
Personal Information you submit through our Sites, such as your name, address, and other contact information, may be collected by The Washington Poison Center for internal marketing and development purposes as well as to respond to your inquiry, complete a transaction for you, or fulfill other forms of customer service. Where required by applicable data protection laws, we will obtain your consent prior to sending you marketing communications. You can choose not to receive marketing emails from us by unsubscribing using the instructions in any marketing email you receive from us.
3. Sharing your Personal Information
We share your information internally at The Washington Poison Center to facilitate and manage the purposes listed above. This includes third parties whom The Washington Poison Center engages to process your Personal Information on our behalf for the purposes stated above, such as vendors who help The Washington Poison Center with our marketing, application processing, IT services, and web hosting.
The Washington Poison Center may also share your Personal Information with lawyers and all interested parties, but exclusively in the case of the management of possible disputes and other legal matters where appropriate.
The Washington Poison Center does not sell any Personal Information, including Personal Information of minors, to third parties for their use in direct marketing, advertising, or promotion of their products or services.
4. Document Retention
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we keep your Personal Information indefinitely.
5. Third-Party Links
Our Sites may include links to third-party websites and services that we do not operate. If you visit a third-party website or service via a link on our web sites, you are subject to that third party’s privacy practices and policies. This Notice does not apply to any Personal Information that you provide to third-party websites or services. A link to a third-party website or service does not mean that we endorse that third party or the quality or accuracy of the information presented on its website or service.
6. Contact Information
For more information on how we collect and process your Personal Information, or if you have any complaints please contact wrussel at wapc.org.
7. Updates to Notice
The Washington Poison Center reserves the right to modify this Notice at any time. If we make any material changes to this Notice, we will provide you notice on our Site.
8. Effective Date
The effective date of this Notice is January 12, 2024.