Congratulations to Julia Nguyen for winning the
2021 Washington Poison Center Poison Prevention Poster Contest
We are pleased to announce the winner of our 15th annual Poison Prevention Poster Contest: Julia Nguyen, a 4th grade student at Shorewood Elementary in Burien, Washington.
The 2021 Poison Prevention Poster Contest asked Washington students grades kindergarten through 6th to develop life-saving artwork demonstrating the theme “Mr. Yuk Saves the Day.” Over 1,500 private and public elementary schools throughout Washington state received the Poison Prevention Poster Contest materials, including specially designed poison prevention curriculum to assist students in learning how Mr. Yuk helps keep people safe from poisonous and toxic substances.
“Julia’s poison prevention poster is a great representation of this past year. While we continue to help people with routine poisonings, we have also seen a significant increase in misuse of hand sanitizers and disinfectants in our new COVID world,” said Dr. Scott Phillips, Interim Medical Director for the Washington Poison Center. “We are also happy that Julia included a pet in her poster, as a reminder to keep our furry friends safe from poisoning as well.” (Please note, the Washington Poison Center does not provide treatment advice for pet poison exposures. Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control for assistance: (888) 426-4435).
Julia’s artwork was transformed into the official Washington State Poison Prevention Poster, which will be distributed in media packets to Washington schools and organizations in time for National Poison Prevention Week, March 21-27, 2021. Mr. Yuk and Julia will also virtually meet with Washington state legislators to discuss her artwork, poison prevention, and how legislators help keep Washingtonians safe.
- Click here to order free Washington Poison Center materials (Mr. Yuk stickers, magnets, brochures, and more)
- Download the 2021 Poison Prevention Poster
- Sample social media message: Congratulations to Julia Nguyen, age 10, for winning the Washington Poison Center’s 2021 Poison Prevention Poster Contest! Julia is in the 4th grade at Shorewood Elementary School in Burien. Celebrate with Julia by attending #poisonprevention events during National Poison Prevention Week- learn more at the @Washington Poison Center
- Press release on 2021 Poison Prevention Poster Contest winner
- Visit our Facebook page for upcoming educational events during National Poison Prevention Week.
We’re already planning for next year, so please stay tuned for next year’s Poison Prevention Poster Contest.
Thanks again for your support of the Washington Poison Center’s Poison Prevention Poster Contest.