(800) 222 1222
800-222-1222

Halloween

Halloween 2017-08-03T13:25:14+00:00

Halloween rolls around every year and The Washington Poison Center has several safety tips for families and adults alike to stay safe during this holiday! Check out the flyer below from the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) and visit our Brochures and Factsheets page to download Halloween safety tips in English or Spanish!

2015 AAPCC Halloween Safety Tips Infographic

Safety Tips for Families and Kids — Here are some simple precautions you can take to avoid poisonous exposures and ensure that children have a safe holiday:

  • Before eating, inspect candy for signs of tampering or compromised packing. This includes things like rips, tears, broken seals, pinholes, or discoloration. Do not consume homemade goods received from others, and be sure to double-check for products that may look like candy but are not (like cough drops or marijuana edibles). When in doubt, throw it out!
  • Use paints that are intended for use on the skin, and throw away any makeup that appears discolored or smells bad. Before applying to the face, test makeups on the arm to check for any allergic reactions or skin sensitivities.
  • Glow sticks should be worn and not chewed on. The liquid is generally minimally toxic, but can cause irritation if swallowed or splashed into the eyes. NEVER put glow sticks in the microwave.

When handling dry ice, wear gloves and be careful. Ingestion of dry ice and exposure to the skin can cause significant injury. Do not store dry ice in the freezer and always use in a well ventilated area.

Safety Tips for Adults — Halloween weekend is typically a time for parties. If you choose to go out, please consider these tips:

  • Before going out, make a plan. Decide who will be a designated driver, what to do if you get separated from friends, and what time you want to leave.
  • Drink lots of water before and while you are out. Also be sure to eat dinner.
  • If you choose to consume any intoxicants, do so in moderation. Using too much alcohol, marijuana, or other substances can be harmful to your health.
  • If you choose to consume, consume only one type of intoxicant. Alcohol does not mix well with anything, especially marijuana or prescription drugs, and if mixed can lead to severe health problems. You can always call the poison center to talk about drug interactions related to your medications.

If you have questions, or if you or someone you know was exposed to a potentially harmful substance, call the Washington Poison Center immediately at 1-800-222-1222. 

The Good Samaritan law protects Washington residents from being prosecuted for being under the influence when seeking help for themselves or a friend. Call for help at the first signs of trouble! If someone is unconscious, unresponsive, or not breathing call 911 immediately.