Every year the nation recognizes the 3rd week in March as “National Poison Prevention Week.” This year is no different. Poisonings are the leading cause of accidental death in Washington. There were more deaths last year from poisonings than from car crashes and falls. Children, teens, adults, and seniors are all at risk.
The Washington Poison Center is looking for a poster that will let people know how they can be safe from poisoning. We promote Poison Prevention Week on mini posters throughout the state. See our 2017 Contest Rules for this year’s theme, entry deadline, and rules. Please use this entry form when submitting all posters.
One talented child in grade 1-5, will be chosen as the Mr. Yuk Poster Contest winner, and their winning design will be used as our State’s official Poison Prevention Week poster. The winner will also receive $500, Mr. Yuk will visit their classroom, and they will meet their lawmakers at our state capitol. See our previous winners!
- Contest is open to Washington kids in grades 1-5 for the 2016-2017 school year
- Poster entries must be postmarked by January 13th, 2017
- Posters should be on 8.5″ x 11″ white paper
- Poster designs, drawings, and details should be unique and fully created by the artist. Please do not use Mr. Yuk stickers (a drawing of Mr. Yuk is okay) or computer generated photos or images. It is okay to create and glue-on unique cut-outs (for example, using green construction paper to create Mr. Yuk).
- Do not use holiday themes
- Use bright, bold, and contrasting colors
- You may use any media (marker, crayon, oil pastels), but generally felt-tip markers show up best
- Make sure to use correct spelling! Commonly misspelled words include: Mr. Yuk, alcohol, poison, health, liquid, medicine, safety, caution, Hotline: 1-800-222-1222
- There is no designated theme, but you can build off of an old theme/slogan: Mr. Yuk Means No, Mr. Yuk Keeps Me Safe, Mr. Yuk to the Rescue. Or create your own slogan that is short and to the point
- Use big letters and keep drawings simple
- Posters are judged based on: originality, design, neatness, artwork, incorporation of Mr. Yuk, and overall poison prevention message
- At this time, all posters must be submitted by an individual. In future years we may allow for group designs and collaborations.
One Grand Prize Winner will receive…
- $500 and a visit from Mr. Yuk
- A trip to Olympia with Mr. Yuk to meet their local state legislators
- The winner’s teacher/club/organization will also receive a cash prize
- Their poster will be transformed into a mini-poster used throughout the state for National Poison Prevention Week March 19-25, 2017
Two runners up will also receive $100.
Mail Entries to:
Washington Poison Center
Attn: Poster Contest
155 NE 100th St, Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98125
Thank you to our generous sponsor, Umpqua Bank!
Call Whitney at 206-517-2380, or use our contact form.
We have a Teacher’s Guide with ideas for lesson plans for several age groups.